Monday, May 1, 2017

Mouse


MAUS

I read this comic a long time ago with my brother for a school project and I never really fully understood certain elements of what was happening. Reading back, I understand now that the concept is almost like Animal Farm. The artist tries to get his point across using animals. I feel children can be easily impacted by this book, I know I was heavily impacted by Animal Farm. I found the concept so fascinating. As anyone reads this novels its upsetting to have someone relive their tale. I feel that people could learn from this though, hopefully. I like to think that, I like to think positively. I'm not so keen on reading anything regarding actual holocaust. During high school and middle school they drowned us in information regarding concentration camps. I prefer comics that take you away from reality, as poetic as this book is. I can't help but feel awful after rereading this comic again. I felt the same way after watching and reading Bare Foot Gen. They both have a powerful message. Reading as these mice go through starvation. pain. heart-ache, and suffering is not something that draws me in, since it is based on a true story. The author, Vladek, died before the book was completed and thats jus as painful to hear as the rest of his story is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment